Monday, April 1, 2019

60% of Americans Admit to “Seeing a Ghost”


In the fall of 2018, a group of 2,000 people * in the U.S. were asked if they had ever seen a ghost. Those who reported on the findings of this study all seemed surprised with the result—it reflected a higher percentage than they expected.


60% of the people who responded stated that they felt they had seen a ghost within their lifetimes. One in three stated they had lived or stayed in a house that was haunted.

The survey found women are 20% more likely than men to believe in ghosts.

Over 40% also reported they felt a pet they owned had seen a ghost as well.

This survey then asked, “If you saw a ghost how did you respond?“ According to the reports, most surveyed stated: “I screamed and then ran away.” While others stated they “cried, hid or fainted.”

One reporter who wrote about this study even qualified that the men screamed louder than the women. Huh?

Granted the results of this survey were published in October near Halloween but bits and pieces of this information I find inaccurate.

I have no problem with the percentages, in fact, I think more than 60% of Americans have experienced some kind of paranormal activity.

But since 60% is a higher number than what has been reported in the past, the authors of these articles stated it was surprising. I feel this number just reflects that today admitting to a “ghost sighting” in the U.S is more acceptable than it was 10 to 15 years ago.

 In fact, recently, it is even considered cool to have seen a ghost.

I do have a slight problem with the “screaming, running away, fainting, etc.” Granted this might have been some people’s response but I think this was played up to make these sightings sound much scarier.

As for the finding that more women than men believe in ghosts, I also feel that 20% is too low of a number.

* OnePoll on behalf of Groupon conducted this survey.

2 comments:

Leona Joan said...

I haven't seen a ghost of a person, but I did see out of the corner of my eye my cat's ghost run through our living room very quickly. I have a friend who spoke to her father's ghost about a week after he crossed over to the Other Side. He looked like he was in his mid 30s, although he was in his 60s when his Spirit crossed over. He spoke to my friend and her sister and said this was the last time they would see him on the Earth, then his ghost disappeared. I'm not afraid of ghost and I hope one appears and communicates with me some day. Just seeing my cat's ghost warmed my heart and strengthened my belief in the afterlife. 🌷

Virginia Lamkin said...

Every other person I talk to has had or has a close friend or family member that has encountered paranormal activity. You don't always need to see a ghost to know it is there. Many people have told me--they just felt a presence near them--they knew without doubt that it was something unworldly.