Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Haunted Little Bighorn

There are many reasons why this famous western battlefield is an excellent place to visit, especially if one wants to encounter a ghost.

George Armstrong Custer
It was here where “Custer’s Last Stand” took place in June of 1876.

On this grassy hill in south-central Montana, Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer led the U.S. 7th Cavalry into battle against thousands of Lakota (Sioux) and Cheyenne warriors.

All 263 of Custer’s men perished in this battle, which became known as the Battle of Little Bighorn. Over 100 warriors died as well during this two-day fight.

Custer's Last Stand
A historian, John Doerner, states it is not surprising this site is haunted considering all the bloodshed, scalping’s, and mutilations that took place on this hill.

After this battle, the U.S. tripled its efforts to force the Plains Indians onto reservations. They accomplished this within the year.

National Cemetery
Today, the location is a National Monument. The areas with the most activity are the battlefield, Stone House, and the National Cemetery.

Visitors and employees at the park agree that the ghosts appear to be restless.

Chief Crazy Horse
One of the chiefs that
participated in the battle.
Many report hearing the sounds of Indian warriors charging on horseback through the cemetery. The curious who have visited this cemetery at night state they felt random cold spots that had no source.

In August of 1979, a Park Enforcement Officer was alone on “Last Stand Hill.” He felt a sudden drop in temperature, and a strong force appeared to walk right through his body.

He heard a steady murmur of voices and left quickly, not wanting to know if they addressed him.

Two visitors at separate times, both had similar disturbing experiences. Both men, one from New Orleans, and the other from Minneapolis claimed to be transported back in time.

They witnessed soldiers and warriors fighting to the death.

Both of these visitors were so unsettled by what they saw—they had to be “calmed down.”

Battlefield at Little Bighorn.
A former Native American Park Ranger, Mardell Plainfeather, saw the ghosts of Indian warriors in 1980.

Late one evening, driving home she spotted two warriors sitting on horses, silhouetted upon a bluff. One of these men lifted himself off his saddle and looked directly at Mardell.

He was dressed for war, painted, with feathers in his long hair. Both men held shields and had bows.

Mardell stated she was not frightened by their presence, but she was curious.

A very active site at Little Bighorn is Stone House. This home was first the superintendent’s residence. It then was used in the summer months as apartments for the staff.

In the winter, this home was closed and locked. This is why the following two sightings are so unusual.

Neil Mangum while walking home through the cemetery, during winter nights often saw the second-floor lights on in the Stone House. He then would turn them off.

He did this despite the fact he knew---the ghosts in the house were turning them on.

Mardell also saw these lights on, in the 1980s during the winter months. But she would never enter the home alone. On night she requested Mike, a Park Ranger, accompany her.

At the same time, Mike’s wife Pam was watching TV in their nearby apartment when the screen went blank, and a strange voice stated, “Second Floor” three times.

This freaked her out until Mike returned unharmed.

Several staff members observed and heard activity when they stayed at the Stone House for one or two nights when they first arrived at the park to work.

This activity included knocks and loud bangs, doorknobs moving on their own, unexplained footsteps coming from empty rooms, and personal items being moved about by unseen hands.

The Stone House at Little Bighorn.
A female ghost was observed walking down the stairs. Most believe this activity occurs because the home’s lower level was once used to store bodies until they could be buried in the years after the battle.

When Mike and Pam first came, they stayed in the upstairs apartment for several nights, they didn’t encounter anything during this time, but their dog was always nervous—pacing back and forth.

In the summer of 1986, a new Park Ranger stayed at Stone House his first two nights. He was in a second-floor apartment sleeping, when he awoke to find a presence sitting on the edge of his bed.

He reached for his Colt .54 as he saw this shadowy figure move from the foot of his bed. He saw the torso of a soldier, but the head and legs were missing.

He watched as this strange figure quickly moved into the next room and then disappeared.

People have also seen a variety of other apparitions in Stone House, including George Custer. Today the home is used as a library and conference center.

1 comment:

Leona Joan said...

Wow! Very spooky. I remember reading about Little Bighorn in school, but these vivid descriptions of ghostly encounters with the soldiers and warriors makes history truly come alive. I hope all the restless Spirits here find joy and peace on the Other Side. Thanks for sharing, Virginia. 🙏